Demikhovsky Engineering Plant
Demikhovsky Engineering Plant
General Director – Oleg Anatolyevich Pavlov
Demikhovsky Engineering Plant (DMZ) is Russia’s leading enterprise in developing and manufacturing of DC and AC trains for suburban and regional transit systems.
DMZ is the manufacturer of more than 80% of all DC and AC trains manufactured in our country, and it is the largest
Total staff – 3604
The enterprise was established in 1935 by the Decision of the People's Commissariat for Heavy Industry of the USSR on the establishment of foundry and engineering works in the “Orghimmontazh” trust. In Demikhovo village a small enterprise for the production of chemical equipment was set up in the building of the former Vetrov’s silk weaving factory. The number of workers was about hundred people.
In December 1936 the plant was transferred to the Defense Industry Commissariat. In April 1937 it became a part of "Torfstroymehanizatsiya" of the People's Commissariat. In 1938-1939 an iron foundry was set up at the enterprise. It manufactured valves, hammer mills, inserts and journal-boxes for peat industry. In 1940 the plant’s workforce was 338 employees.
According to the resolution of the Council of People's Commissars dated May 10, 1940 the enterprise was transferred to the newly formed all-union machine-building trust for production of spare parts and auxiliary equipment for electric power plants and equipment for the "Energotorfmash" peat enterprises. DMZ manufactured tender tanks for narrow gauge steam locomotives, drum winches, clamshell scoops, crushers, hydro basis weight gauges, spare parts for electric power plants and peat harvesting machines.
When the Great Patriotic War started, the plant fulfilled the military orders without stopping regular production. In October-November 1941 the major equipment was evacuated to the Urals.
At the end of December 1941 the People's Commissariat issued a decree to restore DMZ. The plant was transferred from the “Energotorfmash” trust to the General Directorate of Spare Parts and Repairs (“Glavenergozapchast”) of the USSR Electric Power Plants People's Commissariat. In March 1942 the enterprise resumed the production of outboard fuel tanks for airplanes, tank-trailers for motor vehicles, projectile noses for “Katyusha” rocket launcher and peat harvesting machines.
A peat car was designed in 1947 and the plant launched its production in March 1948. In 1949-1951 the plant created designs of passenger car, snow brush and snow plows. The production of iron casting and commercial products skyrocketed.
During the postwar years the enterprise developed production of narrow-gauge cars. It was the only plant in the country, which manufactured rolling stock for 1000-, 900-, 750-mm gauge railways: all-purpose freight and passenger cars. In the 50’s the enterprise produced 8-ton platforms, 10-ton tank cars, passenger cars, track-laying vehicle, 4 types of motor-cars and electric diesel locomotives.
In the 60’s the plant manufactured cars with powered open-close mechanism for hatch covers, 40-seat passenger coaches as well as dining cars, tank cars, covered cars, 20-ton platforms and motorailers.
In 1973 the plant started the production of 1520-mm gauge four-axle hoppers (dump cars). The enterprise annually manufactured 1,550 broad gauge hoppers and 6,000 narrow gauge cars of all types. In the 70’s the enterprise produced car couplers for timber transportation, 60-ton 1520 mm gauge hoppers and narrow gauge hoppers. In 1973, for the Borjomi-Bakuriani line the plant manufactured the following types of 900-mm gauge cars – passenger cars, post-office cars, open cars, covered cars and platforms. In 1977 for timber industry the plant manufactured cars that are suitable for hauling 8 to 24 meter long logs.
During this period special attention was paid to the improvement of production efficiency through modernization and reorganization, mechanization and automation, introduction of new technology and advanced production processes, management of industrial, scientific and technological capabilities. In 1985 the plant was awarded the Order of Red Banner of Labor.
From the end of 1987 the plant belonged to the Ministry of Heavy Energy and Transport Engineering and from 1989 – to the Ministry of Transport Engineering. The main products in those years were freight broad gauge hoppers for transportation of ore, gravel and other bulk freight (63.4 per cent of the total output), narrow gauge freight cars for transportation of peat and wood, platform cars, passenger cars for crew transportation and dining-cars.
In the late 80's the enterprise changed the line of business. New transportation technologies – operation of 12- and 14-car commuter electric trains demanded an urgent development of the rolling stock production. The Riga Car-Building Plant, the main producer of suburban electric trains in the
|Î.À. Pavlov||2008 – present time|